Sunday, October 2, 2011

optional power outage

Project 1: Challenge-go a night without electricity
Objective- experience how the majority(roughly 97%) of art was created

So I attempted to go the entire day without electricity and I am rather glad I did. It turned out to be a rather productive day for me. I worked on many of the projects I have been pushing aside due to distractions of the electronic form, televisions, computers, and phones.
From the time I woke up, about 8a.m., to the time I went to bed around 10p.m., (I know these times because of my movement powered Kenneth Cole watch and the weight operated cuckoo clock I bought in Germany this summer :D)  I avoided electricity as much as possible. I will admit I was exposed to some artificial lighting and the noise of the television due to the other members in the household and I did forget and put a load of laundry to wash for my sister, but other than that I succeeded.

I started off the day painting butterfly wings for a Halloween costume for my cousin. Painting on thin cotton is a bit of a pain. It requires many layers of paint. Later I drafted some patterns for other Halloween costumes for myself as well as my sister and cut fringe for yet another Halloween costume. Is it apparent that I love Halloween? I also mixed in some reading from both my art and psychology books. And of course my parents had me cleaning a bit as well. As it grew darker I employed the help of various candles. I made some duct tape bows and called it a night.


When I craft, things get cluttered. I did go to bed a bit early. And it was hell not being able to listen to my pandora stations all day long, but things went pretty well without electricity. I love the flicker of a candle and would do this again in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment